4.04.2012

pesto d'urtica

Organic, free, and more healthful than anything you ate last week, foraged nettles are my new love. The weekend proved to be perfect timing for picking some on Bainbridge. But when I mentioned my plans to the Italian father in law, all I got was finger wagging and tsking. No, no, pesto pasta is an Italian institution not to be tainted with some hippie nettle sacrilege. So when I told him (lied) that the only recipe I could find was in Italian, he not only offered to translate, but decided to go with me, into the woods, to pick nettles.

To understand my surprise, and the rarity of this situation, you have to know one thing. My Italian American father in law may be the greatest indoorsman of his generation. His idea of an outdoor adventure is a passeggiata bookended by cappuccino and watching Rick Steves Italia on demand. To really rough it is to spend the weekend reading Dante's Inferno.
But there we two were heading to the forest, I in my hiking boots, he in his tasseled loafers and telling me of the backyard foraging traditions of his Nonnos way back when. Suddenly it seemed I was the one accompanying him to pick nettles for pesto d'urtica.

"I can't believe you're into this," I said.
"Of course, the Italians invented this."
You gotta love him.


God help me learn to follow a recipe some day, this is what I did:
Blanch nettles about one minute, reserving the liquid for tea.
Throw into the food processor: 1c-ish packed (water squeezed out) cooked nettles (since I broke off just the tips, I used stems and all), 1/2c pine nuts, grated parmesan, 2-3 cloves garlic and enough oil (I'll guess anywhere between 1/4 - 1/2c) to slide well with pasta. The homemade pasta, mind you.

The in-laws made some the night before and was cooked perfect al dente for supper. Their synergy was absolutely delightful, bar none the best pesto pasta I have ever had in my life. (Just as good: watching my kids pig out on the equivalent of bowl upon bowl of spinach. Mwa ha ha!)
Here is some pesto I saved for posterity - still as vibrant in color and taste, this photo is an insult to the real thing. I don't know why nettle pesto doesn't oxidize the way regular pesto will immediately after it's made (time lapse video anyone?) but my second batch is now 4 days old and still the color of lush green grass in the summertime. Good thing the Italians invented this!

No comments: