3.30.2012

Stinging Nettle Pesto (Korean Italian Pasta?)

Plans for nettle picking on Bainbridge this weekend. Yay! (And since I don't need another reason for the in-laws to think me weird, I may have to sneak out in the early morn to do it. Or is that weirder?)
I hope to gather several bags full to make a year's worth in Nettle Pesto. We are spending over a hundred bucks a year buying Costco's pesto, which is not unaffordable, but it is not organic, and it gets shipped from who knows where in small plastic jars. Pesto freezes very well, and though I've never actually tried nettle pesto, I've no doubt I will love it enough to make a good gallon or so for the year. I'll never forget the first time I had nettles, camping on Orcas Island, cooked right into a chunky marinara sauce. Mmm.
Stinging nettles look and taste almost identical to a nutrient-dense Korean leafy green called Keh-neep. Maybe some ancient Korean farmer engineered the nettle-less variety that my mother still grows from seed every year. Who knows, but I do need the local stinging kind to combat my seasonal allergies, and now is the time to harvest young nettles. This summer I'll have to try Keh-neep pesto as well. I love that fresh nettle nutty flavor, I love pesto, I hate allergies. It's a win, win, win. Thinking of using this recipe. I'll report here how it goes.

1 comment:

Aimee said...

love it! I gather nettles here on my property and make avgolemono soup with nettles.