4.09.2012

Homemade Mayonnaise

A friend just gave me some beautiful eggs from her lovely chickens. Farm fresh eggs are the best! Bright orangey yolks that actually stand up a little in the pan. They taste nothing like the watery thin industrial ones you shouldn't be eating anyway.

Eggs this fresh also mean the possibility of homemade mayonnaise without anybody getting sick. All I have is a quick point and shoot - no filters or fancy equipment to make those yolks look so brightly orange. An organic diet, free ranged lifestyle (in view of Mt Baker helps) will do the trick. Also, neither can I believe I actually just bought a Cuisinart.

I've always preferred homemade mayo, but didn't want to take a gamble with store bought eggs. The ones we get at the coop from Cameno Island are probably fresh enough, but with eggs only a few hours old, I knew I could give it a go. Also, a handy trick I learned is to submerge your eggs in water. Ones that sink are fresh, ones that float should be thrown out, ones that stand on their end should get cooked and eaten today.

What I did:
1 farm fresh egg
1 Tbs white vinegar
1 rounded tsp real dijon mustard
pinch of salt

with the food processor on continuously, very slowly add 1 c olive oil. It took at least a couple minutes to slowly pour it in.

The taste is so impressive I immediately made another batch - below is the pint that ensued. Yes, pint. No, I did not think of that before hand. Friends are welcome to take home a helping within the next few days - it may be the most delicious mayonnaise you've ever had.

1 comment:

sueyoung said...

We eat a 64-oz jar of mayo every month or so, so I don't plan on making it myself. Would love to sample yours next time you make it though! Mmmm... love that mayo.