4.13.2012

Piroshky Plans

Plans for a lemon glazed yogurt cake and piroshkies this weekend. Yay! I love that every culture has their own rendition of the versatile piroshky, filled sweet or savory, with protein or carbs, fruit or veggies. Growing up my mom made Korean ones with mandu-like fillings or sweetened beans. But nothing compares to a real piroshky. I'll never forget my first one years ago when a couple friends and I pooled all the change in our pockets in front of Piroshky Piroshky in Seattle's Public Market. We sat on the curb of Pike and Post Avenue, sharing one tiny potato mushroom and bringing our blood sugar back to agreeable heights (I recall some bickering pre-piroshky), before taking the bus back home. After college I ended up working a few blocks away from that curb and took my lunch breaks with the smoked salmon pate and coffee. I salivate at the memory. So far all attempts over the years for actually making that delicious meal pie have been more food-in-a-blanket-esque than piroshky, so any tips or recipes would be appreciated. Otherwise I plan to try one in Laurel's Kitchen, admittedly not very authentic, but from a book that my dear chain smoking 80-year-old neighbor just gave me.

No comments: