2.27.2007

perspective, we know, is everything

Some days a person has more friends than they know what to do with. Too many people vying for precious time and energy. Then there are days you feel utterly alone, even though all those people never went anywhere.

But ain't it the same with time? Some evenings an hour with the baby feels like an eternity. At the same time I now know why we've grown up hearing our parents say, "They grow up so fast," our whole lives. We do! And our own kid is growing so quickly I feel like I'm watching her through a time-lapse video.

Last night Mike brought home a half dozen carton of eggs from the grocery. For some reason I saw those eggs as a representation of my life with Mike. One fragile egg became 10 potential years of life together. Then he made himself a one egg omelet for a midnight snack and as fast as an egg can crack, there went a whole decade of our life. Five out six eggs is not a lot of eggs. I've eaten that many in a day before.

That Mike and I may have 50 years left together is sometimes a joyful thought. But yesterday, it seemed too short. So we ended the night with me sniffling about how short life is and how I don't ever want mine to end. I swear. How old people aren't walking around in a panic and screaming, "But I don't want to die!" is beyond me, because that's exactly how I'll be when I hit 70.

1 comment:

sissy said...

Gosh, this is precisely what I'm feeling when I say 100 years wouldn't be enough.