1.13.2008

New additions to the bathroom


This was a special little surprise in my Christmas stocking. Mike's mom has a revolving collection of seasonal trinkets for the bathrooms in her home. Candles, lotions, flowers, and things like tiny robin’s-egg-blue salt and pepper shakers. I loved these love birds the first time I saw them and told her so. She must have sensed I secretly coveted them because within days she wrapped them up and gave them to me! I was so touched. Most of you know I’m not that into things, but a few knick-knacks I treasure. Like my three circular tiles from Mexico, my Russian intalio print of dehydrating fish, E's silver cup from my Uncle Bruce, and now these. Treasures never get old. I display these things in prominent places in my home to see them as often as I can. And every time I see them, they give me joy.

The day before we left Seattle I bought this replacement Neti pot (Whole Foods $16.95). I broke the one I bought for Mike as newlyweds (romantic!) shortly after we moved here (real tiles + clumsy wife = lots of super glue and shrugging) and thought to get a new one just so I could carry it for 12 hours and treck it 3,000 miles to our apartment rather than buying one at the Whole Foods I bike by twice a week in Cambridge. If you’ve never tried the Neti, let me enlighten you. You put a cup of lukewarm saline solution (1/2 tsp sea salt + water) in the Neti, place spout at one nostril, tilt head, hold breath and enjoy. I’m sure coke addicts get some kicks through recovery with the Neti. It’s awesome. I’m almost excited for seasonal allergies come Spring to have an excuse to use it again.
Anyway, the Neti lives on our tiny bathroom counter (aka toilet) because I think it’s pretty. Actually, every time I look at it I think it belongs in the collection of pretty white ceramics our Shafer friends have in Seattle. If so pressed I will even give it to them, though a gal at Whole Foods told me the Neti was recently featured on Oprah and I fear people would know the “gravy boat” was actually a yogic nose hose. Anyway, if you have any kind of sinus issue, I highly recommend the neti!

2 comments:

di said...

Cool info about the Neti! I'm going to have to try it since I'm still stuffy. Am sorry I miss you guys over the holidays :(

Love you lots! ~ Diana

Alicia said...

Thanks for the mention on your blog. I'm famous now! I have thought about trying one of these for awhile, maybe you've given me the inspiration I need.